1. CUSTOMERS SHOULD REPORT FRAUDULANT TRANSACTIONS WITHIN 3 DAYS TO AVOID LOSSES: The Reserve Bank of India had earlier capped the customer liability at Rs.25,000 if they reported the unauthorised transactions within 7 working days. Now further modifying this clause, RBI said that customers can’t be made liable at all if they notify the unauthorised transactions within 3 working days. These rules will be applicable for third party breach, where deficiency lies neither with the bank nor with the customer but lies elsewhere in the system.
2. RBI MAKES MOBILE PHONE MANDATORY FOR DOING ELECTRONIS BANKING TRANSACTIONS: The Reserve Bank of India has said that owning a mobile phone is mandatory for customers wishing to do electronic banking transactions and has instructed banks to make SMS alerts mandatory in such cases. It has instructed banks not to offer electronic banking facility to customers who do not provide mobile numbers to the bank.
3. OVER 90% INDIAN CUSTOMERS STILL PREFER BRANCH BANKING OVER ONLINE BANKING:While the government has been pushing for cashless transactions and asking the public to go online when it comes to banking, a new study has revealed that 94% of retail banking customers have visited the bank branches at least once in the past 12 months. Most banking relations still begin and continue at the branch. However, there is great potential for banks to move more into digital space.
4. IT IS NOT MANDATORY TO LINK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT WITH AADHAAR CARD: There is no notification from RBI to link a bank account with Aadhaar number. By collecting Aadhaar details from their customers the banks are trying to pre-empt the possibility of it becoming compulsory in future. Another reason why banks are linking Aadhaar with the bank accounts is to promote Aadhaar enabled transactions without the use of debit or credit cards.
5. CREDIT CARD BILL PAYMENT EXEMPT FROM CASH DEALING LIMIT: The Finance Act 2017 has banned cash transaction of Rs. 2 lakh or above with effect from April 1, 2017. However restrictions on cash dealings of Rs. 2 lakh or more will not apply to credit card bill payments, business correspondents appointed by banks and issuers of prepaid instruments. This has been clarified by the revenue department.
6. HOW “BHIM APP” IS TRYING TO CATCH UP WITH OTHER MOBILE WALLETS: The Bharat Interface for Money ( BHIM) has seen a great many downloads of around 19.16 million since its launch but only 5.1 million users are able to link their bank accounts with the App. In contrast other payment apps like Oxigen wallet currently has 30 million active users and Mobikwik has 55 million active users. Recently BHIM has come up with additional features like Aadhaar Pay, Referral bonus and cash back offers to make it more popular.
7. BANKING STAFF THREATENS STRIKE ON AUGUST 22 OVER MERGERS AND NPA ISSUES:Employees of PSU banks are going on one day strike on August 22nd against the governmentproposal to merge state-owned banks. Besides, they want the government and RBI to declare wilful default as a criminal offence and desist from writing off the corporate Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) or bad loans. They also have urged the government to look into the GST rates on bank service charges because of which the service charges have increased, which in turn has burdened the customers.