1. FOR THE 12 BANKRUPTCY CASES BANKS WILL HAVE TO TAKE A HIT OF 18,000 CRORE: According to India Ratings Research report, Banks need to provide an additional Rs. 18,000 crore in Financial Year 2017-18 towards the 12 accounts identified by Reserve Bank of India for reference to the National Company law Tribunal ( NCLT) under the Insolvency & Bankruptcy code. Banks have been given 6 more months to finalise the resolution plans for other NPA accounts (around 500 more accounts). If no resolution plans emerge then banks will have to begin insolvency proceedings on these accounts as well, which in turn would mean huge provisions in Financial year 2018-19, which will impact badly on the profitability of banks.
2. BANKS TO FACE Rs. 2 LAKH CRORE HIT FROM TOP 50 STRESSED ACCOUNTS:As per CRISIL Ratings Agency estimation Banks may have to write off 60% of the value of bad loans from their 50 large stressed asset accounts or take a hit of Rs. 2.4 lakh crore. The 50 top stressed companies, which account for Rs. 4 lakh crore in stressed loans and account for nearly half of the total NPAs in the banking industry.
3. RBI NOT REVIEWING 90 DAY BAD LOANS CLASSIFICATION NORMS: The Finance Ministry has said the Reserve Bank of India is not examining any proposal to extend the 90-day period for classification of Non-Performing Assets. The prudential norms are one of the building blocks for financial soundness of Indian Banks and any deviation would render the banking system weaker.Further, any delay in recognition of deterioration in asset quality removes the pressure on banks to deal promptly with the problem.
4. RBI ALLOWS NBFCs TO OFFER NEW PENSION SCHEME: The Reserve Bank of India has allowed Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) to sell and market the new pension scheme(NPS). NBFCs with an asset size of Rs. 500 crore and above that have made a net profit in the preceding financial year will be permitted to sell NPS to their clients after registration with pension regulator.
5. RBI TO SET UP PUBLIC CREDIT REGISTRY TO IMPROVE CREDIT CULTURE: The Reserve Bank of India is planning to set up a high level Public Credit Registry (PCR) to help control loan defaults, improve credit culture and promote financial inclusion. RBI said such a registry is the need of the hour which will help the efficiency of financialmarket, improve ease of doing business and help control delinquencies.
6. IDFC-SHRIRAM GROUP AGREE TO MERGE: IDFC Ltd, a domestic infrastructure lender and Primal group financial services major Shriram Group have agreed to merge and thus create the largest retail- focussed bank in the country. Aformal merger will take place in 12 months if all goes well as per the proposed plan. IDFC Ltd will be the holding company of the merged entity.
7. GST IMPACT—DISMANTLING OF CHECK POSTS SAVE 24-36 HOURS OF TRUCKING TIME: The Goods and Service Tax (GST) is saving fleet owners between 24 to 36 trucking hours after dismantling of check posts of VAT, Octroi and other local taxes. Besides this it also ended huge amount of corruption which was taking place at each of the check posts.